First decide if this capsule is for you, your kids, or to any stranger who happens to find it. Keep in mind that anyone could find it at any time, so don’t put intimate items and details into your capsule!
Pick out a metal box, a sturdy can with a lid (a coffee can works well), or shoebox, depending on where you’re planning to store it. Fill it with items from the past year, such as:
- Photos you took that year together
- Movie ticket stubs
- Fortune cookie fortunes
- Love letters, emails, and notes you’ve written to one another
- Newspaper clippings
- A list of romantic ideas
- A list of dates you went on
- A list of restaurants you tried together
- A list of special memories
- Marriage advice for other people who may find the capsule
- Articles on family and marriage
We even have a time capsule print out sheet for you! Fill it out together, then add it into the capsule. Write a large note on the capsule saying, “DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 2022!” (Or whatever date you decide to open it.) Find a place in your backyard to bury it; or you can place it in the corner of a closet or cupboard if you don’t own your home.
Now that you’ve put it away, forget about it! When it’s time to open your capsule, reminisce and enjoy the good old days. Once you’re done fawning over your old memories, make another time capsule!
Click here for our Time Capsule Fill Out PDF